Distinguished Faculty Award Nomination and Processing Guidelines
These guidelines are intended to serve as general principles upon which applicants will be evaluated and selected for the annual Distinguished Faculty Award. They are not intended to be all inclusive of selection criteria but rather highlight those which are likely to be given priority. It is important that committee members have some degree of flexibility in the selection process to accommodate nominees who may have particularly unique qualifications.
- Formal nominations should be made each Spring to the College of Medicine at Chicago. The required application form should be accompanied by the nominee’s CV, a detailed letter of support from the nominator and a minimum of three external letters from academic leaders. Nominators will often be the head of the faculty member’s unit; when this is not the case, submission of an endorsement from the head is also recommended.
- Prior nominations not receiving the award may be submitted for reconsideration for a maximum of three consecutive years. A new curriculum vitae must be provided along with an updated application and letters of recommendation from the nominator.
- Active faculty members are eligible. In the absence of a single professional accomplishment conferring outstanding distinction in teaching, research, clinical service, or administration, the nominee should have achieved distinction in his/her profession over an extended duration as a professor at UIC College of Medicine.
- Department Heads who are de facto distinguished faculty members with a faculty constituency that highly supports their nomination should be eligible for the award, but with additional scholarship credentials. Among consideration would be an extended period of service with an influential role in the development of distinguished persons originating from their department who have been recipients of notable national and international recognition for research, scholarship, or advancement of medical health sciences. Applicants with unusually productive achievements in administration will also be considered.
- Nomination Application form
- Nominations should be submitted by Friday, March 17, 2017 for consideration by the Distinguished Faculty Award Committee. An original and an electronic copy of each nomination must be submitted to the attention of Gillian Coombs (email@example.com, Office of Faculty Affairs, 124 CMW, M/C 784).
- The Distinguished Faculty Award Committee will submit its recommendation to the Dean of the College of Medicine.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Faculty Affairs