Academic Support at the College of Medicine:
The College of Medicine provides strategic, holistic academic advising for all students. Through collaborative partnerships with academic success team members, students will receive guidance and strategies as they navigate the curriculum and prepare for NBME board examinations.
Our Philosophy: We believe that a college-wide intertwined, holistic advising system is key for student success. Academic support at UI COM involves key partnerships among the student, staff, and faculty. This is a collaborative process available to all students that involves connecting students with advising, peer support, counseling, and other campus resources.
Overview of Academic Support at UI COM
- Connect with Academic Support: Staff who are in Academic Advising roles are the primary point of contact for connecting students with academic support staff and resources. Students can also connect with support staff and resources through the College of Medicine Urban Health Program (COM UHP) and the Hispanic Center of Excellence (HCOE).
- Academic Learning Specialists: We have experts in medical student learning on every campus. Our Academic Learning Specialists help students analyze performance using a strengths-based approach for learning in medical school. They assist students with academic skills, time management, test taking strategies, and study planning.
- Peer Education Program: Students have the opportunity to connect with peer student leaders who serve in the role of peer education. Peer Educators offer group tutoring, and in some cases, individualized support.
- Academic Support Resources: UI COM is committed to student success and provides resources such as Q Banks, exam vouchers, and study guides.
Academic success team partners include, and are not limited to:
- Office of Student Affairs (OSA)
- Hispanic Center of Excellence (HCOE)
- College of Medicine Urban Health Program (COM UHP)
- Office of Curricular Affairs/FacultyAdvisors
- Office of Financial Aid and Debt Management
- Office of the Registrar
- The Resiliency Center
- The Disability Resource Center (DRC)
Additional resources for student health and wellness:
UIC Counseling Center at Chicago
The Center for Well Being at Peoria
Student Health and Wellness at Rockford
McKinley Health Center and the Counseling Center at Urbana-Champaign