All medical schools undergo a periodic re-accreditation process conducted by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME), which is sponsored by both the American Medical Association (AMA) and the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC).
This accreditation process ensures that medical schools in the United States and Canada meet standards for educating physicians. The process also engages medical schools in an ongoing national dialogue about best practices and innovation.
UI COM is preparing for its re-accreditation survey visit by the LCME in April, 2018.
Where are we in the accreditation process?
- UI COM identifies its Institutional self-study task force
- Student team conducts the Independent Student Analysis
- Completion by task force of the Data Collection Instrument (DCI) UI COM task force analyzes self-study information, creates a report
- Updates to the ISA and DCI just prior to the LCME visit
- LCME survey team visits and then provides a preliminary report
- LCME issues accreditation letter, including any requested follow-up.