Demonstrating a strong commitment to identifying and addressing medical student mistreatment and other learning environment concerns within the UI College of Medicine, the role of Director of Medical Student Learning Environment (DMSLE) was established with the following primary duties:
- Develop and implement Policy, Procedures and Guidelines for fostering a positive learning environment free from student mistreatment;
- Provide those who experience, witness or become aware of student mistreatment with access to a neutral, impartial, and private resource to report and seek assistance with learning environment and mistreatment concerns (Click here and navigate to section VIII to learn more about privacy of information disclosed to DMSLE);
- Serve as a resource to teachers (faculty, residents and others in a teaching role), staff and administration in discussing and resolving learning environment concerns;
- Receive and monitor reports of student mistreatment from all four UI COM campuses to better identify any trends or patterns involving a specific teacher, a particular department or a certain experiential site;
- Provide feedback to UI COM administration for the purpose of improving the student learning environment; and
- Develop and implement educational activities, information and resources to promote a positive student learning environment.
To report any student mistreatment or learning environment concerns, the DMSLE can be reached directly via email, email@example.com, or phone at (312) 413-9632, or, for those who experience or witness student mistreatment, an online report may be submitted (anonymously or with identifying information) using the Student Mistreatment Report Form (for mistreatment of students in Chicago, Peoria and Rockford—Urbana students should use Urbana Student Mistreatment Report Form).