Frequently Asked Questions
- What should I write in my essay? Should it be specific to my elective choices?Your essay is your opportunity to stand out! You can make it as general or as specific as you would like, keeping in mind that we do make an effort to match students with an elective they are genuinely interested in. If you feel very passionate about a specific elective, show us in your essay, so that we can better place you.
- Do I have to submit my essay within 2 weeks?Once we have emailed you requesting your essay of interest, we expect to receive a response within about 2 weeks. If there are any extenuating circumstances so that you cannot complete it in the allotted time, please let us know, and we can deal with those individually.
- What happens after I submit my pre-screening application and essay?After you have submitted your essay, we ask that you remain patient as we sort through the many applications we receive. The time of response to applications can vary throughout the year, depending on the availability of slots. We cannot respond to every inquiry that we receive, although any specific questions are welcomed.
- What if my university is not affiliated with UIC?Generally, we cannot accept students who are from unaffiliated universities. However, we can consider your request on a case-by-case basis.
- What HIPAA certification do I need to complete?You should complete the “HIPAA Awareness for Healthcare Providers” course.
- Do I need to submit TOEFL scores?Yes, TOEFL scores must be submitted, unless you have other proof of proficiency in the English language. These can include a letter from your dean verifying that your medical curriculum is taught in English, being a native speaker, taking university level English courses, or completing practical training in an English speaking country.
- Are there any recommended companies to acquire personal health insurance?Our office does not handle personal health insurance for students. In many cases, the health insurance that you use at home will offer extended insurance for travels abroad. You should contact your insurance provider to find out if they can provide you with any options while you are here.
- Are there any recommended companies to acquire malpractice insurance?Yes. Please view our recommendations for malpractice insurance companies.
- What payment methods are accepted? When do I need to pay by?Payment can be made by cash, check (made out to UIC) or money order. Payment for your rotation is expected by the first day of your clinical elective.
- What do I need to do to prepare for the nurse visit that happens at orientation?
More information will be provided to you as your orientation date approaches. However, some basic information is that the student questionnaire should be filled out before coming in, all males should be clean shaven (no facial hair is permitted where the seal of the respirator rests), and students should not eat, drink or smoke for at least 15 minutes prior to the appointment.