Guidelines for the UIC University Scholar Award Nomination
Please Note: This process is confidential. A nominator should not inform the individual of his or her nomination. University Scholar Award recipients will be notified by the President in late summer.
- Nominators often will be the chair or head of the faculty member’s unit; when this is not the case, it is requested that a nominator submit a copy of the nomination materials to the appropriate head or chair for endorsement.
- Nominees need not come from the nominator’s own unit.
- Department heads and chairs are themselves eligible for nomination.
- Past University Scholars are not eligible for the Award.
- Only tenured or tenure track faculty are eligible for the Award.
Format Guidelines for Nomination Materials
- Nomination materials must include an up-to-date copy of the nominee’s curriculum vitae and bibliography, and, most importantly, a detailed statement of justification from the nominator. Previous Review Panels have found clear, but detailed, statements of justification to be of significant value in their deliberations.
- State clearly that this nomination is for the University Scholar Award.
- Outside letters of appreciation or recommendation should not be included.
- A nominator should make every effort to include complete information on the history of the nominee’s research funding and external awards and prizes.
- Nominators should keep in mind that nomination materials will be reviewed at the campus level by a panel of faculty from differing disciplines, i.e., non-specialists. For this reason, nominators are urged to include a description of what criteria are especially important for defining excellence and national eminence in the nominee’s field of learning.
Nominations should be submitted by no later than Tuesday, February 6, 2018. Late submissions will not be considered. Please forward nominations to:
Gillian Coombs (email@example.com)
Office of Faculty Affairs (M/C 784)
Room 124 CMW
Chicago, IL 60612
Nomination packets should include a detailed letter of justification from the nominator and an up-to-date copy of the nominee’s curriculum vitae and bibliography. An original and one electronic version of the materials must be provided.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Faculty Affairs