Faculty Appointment, Promotion & Tenure Information
COLLEGE OF MEDICINE P&T UPDATES
- COM Criteria and Guidelines for Appointment and Promotion of Faculty
- COM faculty tracks overview
- COM promotion and tenure annual timeline
- departmental norms (last updated Fall 2022)
P&T information from New Faculty Orientation sessions (useful for all faculty)
- Appointment & promotion in the tenure system Research and Teaching (RT) track
- Appointment & promotion in the tenure system Clinical and Teaching (CT) track
- Appointment & promotion in the non-tenure Clinical Discipline track
- Appointment & promotion in the non-tenure Research, Clinical, and Teaching tracks
UIC P&T Mentoring Workshops – Spring 2023
Visit the above link to register for campus workshops designed to help faculty members in their plans to seek promotion and/or tenure, including review of the relevant promotion and tenure processes.
2023-24 P&T CYCLE
Friday, June 2, 2023 – Departments must notify the COM Office of Faculty Affairs of anticipated AY23-24 promotion cases in their units.
Friday, June 23, 2023 – Dossier Preparer’s External Referee Checklists should be submitted to COM Office of Faculty Affairs. (Please remember to attach candidate’s CV also!)
2022-23 COLLEGE-LEVEL PACKET SUBMISSION DEADLINES
Monday, March 13, 2023 – non-salaried Clinical and Adjunct Track dossiers
Fall 2022 salaried promotion deadlines
Monday, August 1, 2022 – Clinical Discipline; salaried Clinical and Adjunct Track dossiers (Assistant Professor to Associate Professor; Associate Professor to Professor)
Monday, August 22, 2022 – Academic RT and Academic CT Track dossiers (Assistant Professor to Associate Professor with tenure; Associate Professor on a Q contract to Associate Professor with tenure)
Monday, August 29, 2022 – non-tenure Research Track dossiers (Assistant Professor to Associate Professor; Associate Professor to Professor); Academic RT and Academic CT Track dossiers (Associate Professor to Professor)
- Members of other medical schools in Illinois holding a position of assistant professor or higher will be eligible only for the title of Lecturer at UIC.
- At the assistant professor level, determination of faculty track will be made by the department head.
- For new appointments at advanced rank, a track-appropriate dossier must be submitted to the College for review and approval by the College promotions committee. This review should take place within the first year of appointment.
- Expedited reviews – On rare occasion, an abbreviated set of documents may be permitted for cases of lateral-move appointments where the proposed rank and tenure status are equivalent to those held at the previous institution. In such instances, a written request from the department head justifying the need for an expedited review along with the candidate’s CV must be submitted to the COM Office of Faculty Affairs for review and approval prior to development of the dossier. Not all requests will be granted.
- Prior BOT approval – Please note that all appointments to the tenure system (tenure-track assistant professors, probationary “Q” appointments, and tenured faculty) must have prior approval by the Board of Trustees before a faculty member may start his or her appointment. Departments should work with COM Human Resources and Faculty Affairs to develop the necessary paperwork well in advance of the proposed faculty start date. If the appointment begins before appropriate approvals are in place, a “visiting” modifier will be required.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Faculty Affairs.