Welcome to the Department of Urology Resource Page. This online repository houses relevant resources and contact information for students seeking career advice. We encourage you to review the career-related materials provided (e.g. Specialty Webinar, Interview Questions, Research, etc.) as you seek support in your journey through medical school. If you have further questions that are not addressed on this page, please feel free to contact a Specialty Faculty Mentor for further guidance.
MATCH PREPARATION AND CHARTING OUTCOMES
You are more than your Step Scores. Use this link to find information for the Urology Match [ Society of Academic Urologists https://www.auanet.org/education/auauniversity/for-residents/urology-and-specialty-matches)] . Explore your area of interest, based on your own experiences, educational attainment and scholarship.
Strongly encouraged. While it is not a requirement, most applicants will have participated in some form of research (not necessarily urology specific research).
Chairman’s letter is recommended but not required
Most letters should come from within urology. However, if there is a letter writer that you believe could provide an exceptional letter, this would be an acceptable letter outside of urology.
Away rotation letters are encouraged but not required
MSPE is required before offering interview
Be concise. Make sure to have someone else proofread your personal statement to be sure there are no spelling or grammatical errors.
When do programs in your specialty generally begin reviewing applications? September
When do programs in your specialty begin offering interviews? October
When does your program generally offer interviews? October
Do you require the MSPE before offering interviews? Yes
Be honest. Research the program so that you have knowledge of the faculty and can ask appropriate questions to help you determine your fit. A lack of program knowledge can easily be interpreted as a disinterest in the program.
Follow up Communication:
Thank you notes are not required, but applicants may choose to write an email or send a letter. In order to comply with the AUA post-interview communication policy, programs cannot respond to thank you notes written by applicants and program-initiated communication is not permitted.
- Use this link to find information for the Urology Match [ Society of Academic Urologists https://www.auanet.org/education/auauniversity/for-residents/urology-and-specialty-matches)] .
- Looking for residency programs? The AAMC interactive, Careers in Medicine Website is where you should be! LINK
- Having difficulty deciphering this information? Contact your Student Affairs Career Advisor on your campus!!!
Residency Career Planning Helpful Links
Below you will find resources to help you get started when applying for residency.
(Updated August 24, 2021)
American Urological Association (AUA)
American Medical Association (AMA)
- FREIDA Residency and Fellowship Program Database
- Fellowship and Residency Electronic Interactive Database (FREIDA Online)
- The Road to Residency Made Simple
- AMA Residency match made simple: From M4 to PGY-1 in 6 steps
AAMC/NRMP/NBME collaborative Residency Exploration Tool
Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS)
Medical Residency and Fellowship Map
National Resident Matching Program (NRMP
- Match Data and Reports
- NRMP Charting Outcomes in the Match
- Charting Outcomes
- Match Prism App: for mobile devices Search the app store on your mobile device!
San Francisco Match (SF Match)