University of Illinois College of Medicine participates in the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS), a centralized application processing service which can be accessed from www.aamc.org. Applications are available in April and must be filed by Nov. 1 of the year preceding enrollment.
Upon receipt of the AMCAS application, the Office of Medical College Admissions (OMCA) will email eligible applicants the web address to locate our Supplemental Information Application that is to be completed and returned to the OMCA by Dec. 1 of that year.
As part of the supplemental application, all applicants to the University of Illinois College of Medicine are required to complete an online assessment (CASPer), to assist with our selection process. Successful completion of CASPer is mandatory in order to maintain admission eligibility.
Letters of Recommendation:
University of Illinois College of Medicine requires a premedical committee evaluation OR three letters from instructors (any field of study) from whom the candidate has taken courses. One of the letters can be from a research mentor. These letters should critically evaluate the candidate’s academic ability, strengths and weaknesses, motivation for medicine, maturity, difficulty of course work and special attributes and assets. Personal letters of recommendation are not acceptable. If the applicant is currently enrolled in a graduate program or professional school, one letter must be from a faculty member at the graduate or professional school.
All Letters of Evaluation/Recommendation for University of Illinois College of Medicine should be submitted via AMCAS by December 1st. Any letters sent directly to University of Illinois College of Medicine will not be accepted, will not be placed in the candidate’s application file, and will not be retained in any other form. There are several mediums in which a letter writer can send a recommendation letter to AMCAS. AMCAS will receive letters for users of Virtual Evals, Interfolio, and via standard mail. In addition, letter writers who currently mail letters can opt to upload letters directly through the AMCAS Letter Writer Application. Regardless of the format in which the letter is received, the letter will become part of the applicant’s electronic file.
Letter writers should include the AMCAS Letter Request form when sending an applicant’s letter in order to guarantee that the letter is correctly matched to the correct application. The letter writer must include applicant AAMC ID and AMCAS Letter ID (which can be found on the AMCAS Letter Request form). The mailing address to which letters of evaluation should be mailed will also appear on the AMCAS Letter Request form.
The Committee on Admissions evaluates completed applications on a rolling basis from early September through March.
For applicants considered eligible by the Committee on Admissions, an interview will be required. The Interview Day will be held at one of the three campus locations where the MD program is being offered: Chicago, Peoria, or Rockford.
- Cumulative grade point average considering degree program and MCAT score are considered to assess academic achievement for each applicant.
- In addition to the overall academic record, the Committee considers personal characteristics, such as motivation and communication skills. Students are selected who demonstrate emotional stability, maturity, integrity, and the passion necessary for the successful study and practice of medicine.
- The Committee also seeks to identify those applicants who will contribute academic, nonacademic, and socioeconomic diversity/heterogeneity to the entering class.
If you have already applied to the College of Medicine and you would like to know the status of your application, you can check your application status online here.
The Early Decision Program (EDP) – Optional:
The Early Decision Program (EDP) is a procedure by which a medical school applicant may request and receive an early decision regarding his/her application to the medical school of his/her first choice prior to seeking an acceptance elsewhere. If this College of Medicine is your first choice, you may participate under the following conditions:
- Your completed application must be submitted to the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) prior to August 1 for timely transmittal to the University of Illinois College of Medicine.
- Your application fee, Supplemental Information Application, Letters of Recommendation, and additional supporting documents must be on file with the Office of Medical College Admissions by September 1. The Medical College Admission Test must have been taken no later than July of the application year.
Applicants who are not offered admission in the Early Decision Program will be considered in the regular competition for the remaining places in the entering class.
We are not currently accepting applications for transfer into the University of Illinois College of Medicine from students currently enrolled in another medical school.