Founded in 1913 with medical roots dating back to the late 1800s, the University of Illinois College of Medicine (UI COM) is accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education and is one of the largest, public medical schools in the U.S.
Please note admissions info here is for the M.D. programs only. If you are looking for undergraduate, graduate admissions, you can find that info on the individual program pages.
One College Three Campuses Heading link
1,400 * Students Enrolled
1,000 * Residents
4,000 * Faculty Members
Intro Heading link
* approximate number across our campuses (Chicago, Rockford and Peoria)
- UI COM ranks in the top 1/3 of the NIH-ranked institutions by research funding.
- UI COM is 1 of 4 Illinois universities boasting Carnegie Foundation’s highest designation for research productivity.
- 1 in 6 physicians in Illinois have received a medical degree or resident training from the College of Medicine.
With approximately 1,400 students enrolled across its three campuses in Chicago, Peoria, and Rockford, students have the unique opportunity to learn in rural and urban environments with integrated curriculum that is delivered simultaneously across all three.
When you apply to UI COM, you are applying to the UI COM system, and will be placed on one of our three campuses. All campuses offer the same UI COM diploma and the same quality educational experience. What makes each campus unique is the local culture, partner organizations, and patient populations.
World Class Education Heading link
Our Class of 2025 Heading link
At UI COM each offer of acceptance is informed by our mission. To advance health for everyone through outstanding education, research, clinical care, and social responsibility.
- These students hail from 137 different colleges and universities from around the world, with diverse areas of study including, biochemistry, public health, Spanish, neuroscience, economics, psychology and many more.
- Our incoming class represents 34 different races and ethnicities and 14 different countries.
Academic Profile Heading link
511 Avg MCAT
3.68 Avg GPA
Diversity Profile Heading link
41 % Under represented in Medicine
56 % Female
69 % Illinois Residents