Intro Heading link
Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) are transforming health care and medical practice at a rapid rate. The University of Illinois College of Medicine has a unique role to play in AI/ML research by bringing to this work an equity approach that ensures that health disparities are addressed.
The College of Medicine has established the Center for Health Equity using Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence (CHEMA) to support research, training, education, and innovation at the intersection of health equity and advanced technology.
Our Mission Heading link
To use innovative technologies (or machine learning and artificial intelligence) and community partnership to promote health equity and improve health care services for diverse, underserved, and minority populations through clinical research and translational medicine.
Our Initiatives Heading link
In its initial phase of growth, CHEMA will support five major initiatives:
Faculty Recruitment/Domain Hiring
- Faculty can be at any rank (Instructor to Professor).
- Research interests in AI/ML domain that intersects with health equity.
- An established portfolio of research grants or potential for future funding.
- Single investigators or research teams are welcome under this hiring initiative.
- Identifies the candidates for these positions
- Provides discipline or clinical mentorship
- Department is expected to cover non-salary costs and infrastructure for the research
- Center will cover all salary & fringe costs for these appointments
- If the department lacks technical or research experts, the Center will provide mentorship and support for these postdocs
- Support for K award development and applications
Monthly Hybrid Seminars
Westside Research Office Building, Room #261
1747 West Roosevelt Road, Chicago, IL 60608.
- September 27, 2023, 3:00 PM – Neeraj Chhabra, Dr. Neeraj Chhabra will present the lecture: “Automating the Detection of Opioid Misuse in the Emergency Department Setting”
- October 25, 2023, 3:00 PM – François Modave
- November 29, 2023, 3:00 PM – Desmond Patton
- December 20, 2023, 3:00 PM – Jonathan Chen
- January 24, 2024, 3:00 PM – Barbara Di Eugenio
- February 28, 2024, 3:00 PM – Darvin Yi
- March 27, 2024, 3:00 PM – Ranganathan Chandrasekaran
- April 24, 2024, 3:00 PM – Yoon Soo Park
- May 22, 2024, 3:00 PM – Geoffrey Bowker
- June 26, 2024, 3:00 PM – Ruma Bhaumik
Become a Community Partner by joining the CHEMA Community Advisory Board
To further develop our work and assure that it is inclusive, explained the right way, and helpful to patients, the CHEMA team needs community voices like yours to partner with us. We are looking to develop a coalition of partners across industry, academic, and community members to champion this work while standing at the forefront of technological innovations. The collaborations help to develop a team which can revolutionize the future of healthcare, together.
Become a member of CHEMA
We invite you to join us to develop groundbreaking innovations within artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) that have the potential for transforming healthcare for all, particularly for historically marginalized populations.