The Office of International Education
The University of Illinois College of Medicine has extensive experience in international education. We have collaborations with over 100 institutions worldwide, international programs for undergraduate and postgraduate students, exchange programs, research collaborations, and consultations with international institutions and partners. This website provides you with relevant information about different programs and activities currently available at the University of Illinois College of Medicine. The student section includes relevant information for students intending to study abroad or international students desiring to apply for one of our electives, including guidelines, application forms, requirements, and tips for travel. Also included is information about international research opportunities, as well as unique features of the University of Illinois College of Medicine that might be of interest to the international community.
We provide leadership in international medical education, oversee all collaborations and programs for international medical education, create and promote international education exchange programs for students and faculty, explore international markets for partnership in educational endeavors, foster an educational environment that embraces multicultural perspectives, and explore funding opportunities that support international educational activities.
We strive to educate culturally competent physicians-in-training and create an internationally recognized program, which embraces and promotes the importance of our mission.
- Establish collaborations with institutions worldwide to promote exchange of students and faculty with interests in international education.
- Create partnerships with academic institutions and medical corporations that have specific needs in education in cutting edge procedures, skills and innovations.
- Survey and search for new markets for the establishment of medical schools and other education programs, where UI COM educational expertise could be beneficially utilized.
- Explore funding opportunities to support a variety of international education activities.
- Arrange electives for international visiting students to obtain clinical education at UI COM.
- Advise and provide contacts to UI COM medical students who desire to expand their clinical education in developing countries and with under served populations.
- Construct and maintain a comprehensive database where any kind of COM international educational experience could be searched and used for appropriate education purposes.