COVID-19 update about UIC Clinical Electives
International Visiting Students
Applying for a Clinical Elective
- Full-time medical students in their final year of study outside the United States, in good academic standing.
- Completion of core clerkships prior to start date of approved UIC elective: Internal Medicine, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Surgery, Family Medicine. If these clerkships are not listed on your transcript at the time you submit your application, the completion dates must be listed by your dean in their letter of good standing.
- Toefl scores are required if your courses are not taught in English. If your courses are taught in English, your dean must verify this in their letter of good standing. See below for “Toefl Score Requirements”.
Although we give priority to applicants from our International Affiliates (see link to the left), all eligible students may apply. Please do not contact course directors, department coordinators or faculty for any reason during the application process. Doing so may result in your ineligibility for current or future elective rotations. The International Education staff members are happy to answer your questions, but please review the Application Checklist (below) and our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) (quick links) before submitting your application.
Rotation Dates for Academic Year 2019-2020
Note the following start and end dates for rotations during the academic year. Students must adhere to these dates, no applications will be accepted after the deadline, and no dates or electives can be changed once the elective is approved.
|Start Date||End Date||Application Deadline||Orientation|
|June 24th||July 20th||April 24th||June 24th|
|July 22nd||August 17th||May 22nd||July 22nd|
|August 19th||September 14th||June 19th||August 19th|
|September 16th||October 12th||July 16th||September 16th|
|October 28th||November 23rd||August 28th||October 28th|
|November 25th||December 21st||September 25th||November 25th|
|January 6th||February 1st||November 6th||January 6th|
|February 3rd||February 29th||December 3rd||February 3rd|
|March 2nd||March 28th||January 2nd||March 2nd|
|March 30th||April 25th||January 30th||March 30th|
|April 27th||May 23rd||February 23rd||April 27th|
|May 25th||June 20th||March 25th||May 26th|
- Application Form
Please complete the application form linked above, and submit in the order listed here. Do not include any documents not on this list or your application may not be reviewed. Refer to the List of Electives and above dates; please select three (3) electives and three (3) dates according to priority, and, as stated on the application, list the NAMES of your preferred electives, NOT the course number, or your application will be returned.
- Letter of Good Standing
- Prerequisite Core Clerkships
You must be enrolled in your final year of medical school and have already completed your clerkships in Internal Medicine, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Surgery and Family Medicine by the start date of the electives for which you are applying. Your Letter of Good standing may list your completed core clerkships, or an explanation of when they will be completed.
- Copy of Passport
Please scan and email items 1-4 as a single PDF file to Nicole Kozlowski at [email protected]. Incomplete applications will not be considered. You will be notified via email if one of the electives you requested is available. Please be advised that our program has limited availability. If you are accepted, you must complete and submit the additional requirements outlined below.
Requirements to be Completed ONLY upon Acceptance
- UIC Immunization Form
- Heath Insurance
- Valid Visa Status
- HIPAA Certification
- CPR Training
- TOEFL (Please note the TOEFL Score Requirements. No exceptions will be made.)
- Malpractice Insurance Companies
- Evaluation Form
At orientation you will complete a Mandatory Drug Screening and Respirator Fit Testing. The elective fee is due at this time.