COVID-19 update about UIC Clinical Electives
As of now, the UIC clinical elective program will begin accepting applications for the 2022/2023 academic year. Carefully review all the information below, including the FAQ, before submitting your application, Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
International Visiting Students
Applying for a Clinical Elective
- Full-time medical students in their final year of study outside the United States, in good academic standing.
- Completion of core clerkships prior to start date of approved UIC elective: Internal Medicine, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Surgery, Family Medicine. If these clerkships are not listed on your transcript at the time you submit your application, the completion dates must be listed by your dean in their letter of good standing.
- Toefl scores are required if your courses are not taught in English. If your courses are taught in English, your dean must verify this in their letter of good standing. See below for “Toefl Score Requirements”.
- Must be fully vaccinated at least 2 weeks prior to elective start date.
Although we give priority to applicants from our International Affiliates (see link to the left), all eligible students may apply. Please do not contact course directors, department coordinators or faculty for any reason during the application process. Doing so may result in your ineligibility for current or future elective rotations. The International Education staff members are happy to answer your questions, but please review the Application Checklist (below) and our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) (quick links) before submitting your application. The elective fee is currently $2,500.00 USD.
Rotation Dates for Academic Year 2022-2023
Note the following start and end dates for rotations during the academic year. Students must adhere to these dates, no applications will be accepted after the deadline, and no dates or electives can be changed once the elective is approved.
|Academic Year 2022-2023 Dates and Deadlines
| Rotation Start Date
||Rotation End Date
*Due to Covid-19 restrictions, there will be at least 2 mandatory orientation days: #1 will be held approximately 10 days prior to the rotation start day to allow for an on-campus (free) covid test, and #2, during the week prior to the elective start date. Details upon acceptance. You should plan to remain in the Chicago area once you arrive in Chicago for the initial orientation, as more than one campus visit may be required during this time.
** Exact start date and orientation dates for this rotation will be listed later.
Click here to view the electives catalog
- Application Form
Please complete the application form linked above and submit in the order listed here. Do not include any documents not on this list or your application may not be reviewed. Refer to the List of Electives and above dates; please select three (3) electives and three (3) dates according to priority, and, as stated on the application, list the NAMES of your preferred electives, NOT the course number, or your application will be returned.
2. Letter of Good Standing signed and dated by school authority with previous 4 months
3. Prerequisite Core Clerkships
You must be enrolled in your final year of medical school and have already completed your clerkships in Internal Medicine, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Surgery and Family Medicine prior to the start date of the electives for which you are applying. Your Letter of Good standing may list your completed core clerkships, or an explanation of when they will be completed.
4. Copy of passport
Please scan and email items 1-4 as a single PDF file to [email protected]. Incomplete applications will not be considered. You will be notified via email if one of the electives you requested is available, but we are unable to give application updates. Please be advised that our program has limited availability. If you are accepted, you must complete and submit the additional requirements outlined below. If we are not able to place you in one of our electives you will be notified by email.
Requirements to be Completed ONLY upon Acceptance
Required after acceptance checklist
- UIC Immunization Form
- Heath Insurance
- Valid Visa Status
- HIPAA Certification
- CPR Training
- TOEFL (Please note the TOEFL Score Requirements. No exceptions will be made.)
- Malpractice Insurance Companies
- Copy of Covid-19 Vaccination card
*Additional requirements due to Covid-19:
1) 10-day quarantine requirement: students approved for an elective must arrive on the UIC campus for a preliminary orientation with the Office of International Education (OIE) staff at least 10 days prior to their elective start date. You must plan to remain in the Chicago area during this time, and plan to be on campus for mandatory orientation tasks.
2) Students must show their Covid-19 vaccine authorization card upon arrival on campus (an electronic copy must already be on file with OIE).
3) Students must provide proof of a negative Covid-19 test that is no more than 72 hours old.
4) Students will take a Covid-19 test upon arrival at UIC, at no extra charge.
The elective fee is due on the final orientation day.