COVID-19 update about UIC Clinical Electives
For the academic year 2020/2021, UIC will follow the recommendations of the Association of American Medical Colleges concerning the hosting of international students. UIC will not host visiting students before Spring or Summer 2021. Applications for clinical electives are not currently being accepted and further updates will be posted here when available. This policy pertains to both prospective students studying in their home countries, as well as those currently in the U.S.
International Visiting Students
Applying for a Clinical Elective
- Full-time medical students in their final year of study outside the United States, in good academic standing.
- Completion of core clerkships prior to start date of approved UIC elective: Internal Medicine, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Surgery, Family Medicine. If these clerkships are not listed on your transcript at the time you submit your application, the completion dates must be listed by your dean in their letter of good standing.
- Toefl scores are required if your courses are not taught in English. If your courses are taught in English, your dean must verify this in their letter of good standing. See below for “Toefl Score Requirements”.
Although we give priority to applicants from our International Affiliates (see link to the left), all eligible students may apply. Please do not contact course directors, department coordinators or faculty for any reason during the application process. Doing so may result in your ineligibility for current or future elective rotations. The International Education staff members are happy to answer your questions, but please review the Application Checklist (below) and our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) (quick links) before submitting your application. The elective fee is currently $2,500.00 USD.
Rotation Dates for Academic Year 2021-2022
Note the following start and end dates for rotations during the academic year. Students must adhere to these dates, no applications will be accepted after the deadline, and no dates or electives can be changed once the elective is approved.
|Summer 2021 (Dates are not finalized)
|Spring 2022 (Dates are not finalized)
Click here to view the electives catalog
- Application Form
Please complete the application form linked above, and submit in the order listed here. Do not include any documents not on this list or your application may not be reviewed. Refer to the List of Electives and above dates; please select three (3) electives and three (3) dates according to priority, and, as stated on the application, list the NAMES of your preferred electives, NOT the course number, or your application will be returned.
- Letter of Good Standing
- Prerequisite Core Clerkships
You must be enrolled in your final year of medical school and have already completed your clerkships in Internal Medicine, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Surgery and Family Medicine by the start date of the electives for which you are applying. Your Letter of Good standing may list your completed core clerkships, or an explanation of when they will be completed.
- Copy of Passport
Please scan and email items 1-4 as a single PDF file to Kay Spreitzer at [email protected]. Incomplete applications will not be considered. You will be notified via email if one of the electives you requested is available. Please be advised that our program has limited availability. If you are accepted, you must complete and submit the additional requirements outlined below.
Requirements to be Completed ONLY upon Acceptance
Required after acceptance checklist
- UIC Immunization Form
- Heath Insurance
- Valid Visa Status
- HIPAA Certification
- CPR Training
- TOEFL (Please note the TOEFL Score Requirements. No exceptions will be made.)
- Malpractice Insurance Companies
- Evaluation Form
At orientation you will complete a Mandatory Drug Screening and Respirator Fit Testing. The elective fee is due at this time.