International Visiting Students
The UI COM elective program is now accepting applications for the 2023/2024 academic year. Carefully review all the information below, as well as the FAQ, before submitting your application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Applying for a Clinical Elective Heading link
- Full-time medical students in their final year of study outside the United States, in good academic standing.
- Completion of core clerkships prior to start date of approved UIC elective: Internal Medicine, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Surgery, Family Medicine. If these clerkships are not listed on your transcript at the time you submit your application, the completion dates must be listed by your dean in their letter of good standing.
- TOEFL scores are required if your courses are not taught in English. If your courses are taught in English, your dean must verify this in their letter of good standing. See below for “TOEFL Score Requirements”.
- Must be fully vaccinated at least 2 weeks prior to elective start date.
Application Details Heading link
Although we give priority to applicants from our International Affiliates, all eligible students may apply. Please do not contact course directors, department coordinators or faculty for any reason during the application process. Doing so may result in your ineligibility for current or future elective rotations.
The International Education staff members are happy to answer your questions, but please review the Application Checklist and our Frequently Asked Questions before submitting your application. The elective fee is currently $2,500.00 USD. As of April 22, 2024, the Elective rotation fee will be $3,000.00 USD.
Application Checklist Heading link
Please scan and email items 1-4 as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete applications will not be considered. You will be notified via email if one of the electives you requested is available, but we are unable to give application updates. Please be advised that our program has limited availability. If you are accepted, you must complete and submit the additional requirements outlined below. If we are not able to place you in one of our electives you will be notified by email.
- Application Form
Please complete the application form linked above and submit in the order listed here. Do not include any documents not on this list or your application may not be reviewed. Refer to the List of Electives and above dates; please select three (3) electives and three (3) dates according to priority, and, as stated on the application, list the NAMES of your preferred electives, NOT the course number, or your application will be returned.
- Letter of Good Standing
Signed and dated by school authority with previous 4 months.
- Prerequisite Core Clerkships
You must be enrolled in your final year of medical school and have already completed your clerkships in Internal Medicine, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Surgery and Family Medicine prior to the start date of the electives for which you are applying. Your Letter of Good standing may list your completed core clerkships, or an explanation of when they will be completed.
- Copy of passport
Rotation Dates Heading link
Please take careful note of the following start and end dates for rotations during the academic year. These dates are firm, applications will not be accepted after the deadline, and no dates or electives can be changed once an elective is approved.
*Due to Covid-19 restrictions, these dates may change without much notice. Visiting students approved for UI COM electives will be notified of any changes via email. Approved students must plan to stay in the Chicago area for the orientation period.
**Firm dates for the first January 2024 rotation will be added when available.
Academic Year 2023-2024 Dates and Deadlines
Rotation Start Date Rotation End Date Application Deadlines Orientation Date* May 22 Jun 17 Mar 22 May 17 Jun 20 Jul 15 Apr 20 Jun 14 Jul 17 Aug 12 May 17 Jul 12 Aug 14 Sep 9 Jun 14 Aug 9 Sep 11 Oct 7 Jul 11 Sep 6 Oct 23 Nov 18 Aug 23 Oct 18 Nov 20 Dec 17 Sep 20 Nov 15 January 2** Jan 27 Nov 2 January 2** Jan 29 Feb 24 Nov 29 Jan 24 Feb 26 Mar 23 Dec 15 Feb 21 Mar 25 Apr 20 Jan 26 Mar 20
Requirements Checklist Heading link
TO BE COMPLETED ONLY UPON ACCEPTANCE
- UIC Immunization Form
- Heath Insurance
- Valid Visa Status
- HIPAA Certification
- CPR Training
- TOEFL (Please note the TOEFL Score Requirements. No exceptions will be made.)
- Malpractice Insurance Companies
- Copy of Covid-19 Vaccination card
Additional Requirements due to COVID-19:
- Orientation will start approximately 5 days prior to the elective start date. You must plan to remain in the Chicago area during this time, and plan to be on campus for mandatory orientation tasks.
- Students will take a Covid-19 test upon arrival at UI COM, at no extra charge.
- The elective fee is due on the final orientation day.