How to Apply
Apply Heading link
Applicants should contact the Office of CME at least 60-90 days prior to the educational activity start date to allow enough time to complete pre-planning and application requirements and for committee review. Do note that all accredited continuing education provided by the Office of CME must have a University of Illinois College of Medicine faculty member serving as the Activity Director.
- Step 1: Applicants should contact their respective Office of CME to begin the pre-planning phase. The Office of CME is comprised of two sites within the University of Illinois College of Medicine located at the Chicago and Peoria campuses. Applicants from the Chicago and Rockford campuses should contact the Office of CME at the Chicago. Applicants from the Peoria campus should contact the Office of CME at Peoria.
- Step 2: The Office of CME will review the pre-planning requirements, program fees (Chicago only), and answer any questions/concerns. All individuals who can control educational content for the proposed activity e.g., faculty, planners, must complete and sign a Financial Disclosure form listing all financial relationships within the prior 24 months. There is no minimum dollar amount.
- Step 3: The Office of CME will review all disclosure forms to determine whether any relevant financial relationships exist. A financial relationship is considered relevant if the educational content is related to the business lines or products of an ineligible company. An ineligible company is defined as one whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients. Owners and employees are excluded from assuming a role as planners or faculty in accredited continuing education. Individuals who are neither owners nor employees of ineligible companies but have relevant financial relationships may assume a role as planner or faculty in accredited continuing education once mitigation of relevant financial relationships has taken place. The Office of CME will advise applicants on appropriate mitigation strategies and requirements.
- Step 4: Upon completing the pre-planning requirements, applicants may complete the application for CME certification of their educational activity. The Office of CME uses eCME®, an electronic learning management system to manage all accredited continuing education activities. The Office of CME will help applicants register for system access and establish a user account. Applicants will complete the application and provide all required supporting documentation using eCME®.
- Step 5: Once the application is complete and satisfies all initial requirements, the Office of CME will advance it to the respective site committee for review and comments. Upon recommendation for approval, the application will advance the application the Executive Committee for final review and determination.