Intro Heading link
This online repository houses relevant resources and contact information for students seeking career advice. We encourage you to review the career-related materials provided (e.g. Specialty Webinar, Interview Questions, Research, etc.) as you seek support in your journey through medical school.
If you have further questions that are not addressed on this page, please feel free to contact a Specialty Faculty Mentor for further guidance.
Match Preparation and Charting Outcomes Heading link
You are more than your Step Scores! Use the NRMP page to look at the qualifications of applicants who have successfully applied to your specialty.
Should applicants do away rotations?
Yes, 1-2 away rotations is strongly recommended.
Strongly encouraged. While it is not a requirement, most applicants will have participated in some form of research (not necessarily urology specific research).
Letters of Recommendation
- 3 letters
- Chairman’s letter is recommended but not required
- Most letters should come from within urology. However, if there is a letter writer that you believe could provide an exceptional letter, this would be an acceptable letter outside of urology.
- Away rotation letters are encouraged but not required
- MSPE is required before offering interview
Be concise. Make sure to have someone else proofread your personal statement to be sure there are no spelling or grammatical errors.
- When do programs in your specialty generally begin reviewing applications? September
- When do programs in your specialty begin offering interviews? October
- When does your program generally offer interviews? October
- Do you require the MSPE before offering interviews? Yes
Be honest. Research the program so that you have knowledge of the faculty and can ask appropriate questions to help you determine your fit. A lack of program knowledge can easily be interpreted as a disinterest in the program.
Follow up Communication:
Thank you notes are not required, but applicants may choose to write an email or send a letter. In order to comply with the AUA post-interview communication policy, programs cannot respond to thank you notes written by applicants and program-initiated communication is not permitted.
For further guidance, contact our specialty faculty liaison:
Sam Ohlander, MD
Helpful Resources Heading link
- The NRMP publishes a survey of Applicants each year. This report presents the results of selected items from the 2022 NRMP Applicant Survey. The report documents factors that applicants weigh in selecting programs (1) at which to interview and (2) to rank in the Main Residency Match. It can be found HERE.
- The NRMP Publishes a survey of Residency Program Directors. This report examines the factors program directors use to select applicants to interview and rank. Data are reported for 22 specialties and the transitional year in the Main Residency Match. It can be found HERE.
- Looking for residency programs? The AAMC interactive, Careers in Medicine Website is where you should be! LINK
- Having difficulty deciphering this information? Contact your Student Affairs Career Advisor on your campus!!!
Below you will find resources to help you get started when applying for residency.