Faculty Appointment, Promotion & Tenure Information
UNIVERSITY P&T UPDATES
- P&T Modifications Announcement and Summary
- Guidance for the Adoption of ‘Teaching’ Modifier for Non-Tenure Track Faculty
- COVID-19 Rollback #2 – Policy Summary and Application Procedures
COLLEGE OF MEDICINE P&T UPDATES
- UPDATED 6/9/2021 — COM Criteria and Guidelines for Appointment and Promotion of Faculty
- COM promotion and tenure timeline
- COM faculty tracks overview
- Departmental norms (last updated Fall 2020)
Track-specific P&T Information
- Appointment and promotion in the Academic (RT), Academic (CT), and Research tracks
- Appointment and promotion in the Clinical Discipline track
- Appointment and promotion in the Clinical and Adjunct tracks
2021-22 P&T CYCLE
Friday, May 21, 2021 – Departments must notify the COM Office of Faculty Affairs of anticipated AY21-22 promotion cases in their units.
Friday, June 25, 2021 – Paper Preparer’s External Referee Checklists should be submitted to COM Office of Faculty Affairs.
2021-22 COLLEGE-LEVEL PACKET SUBMISSION DEADLINES
Monday, August 2, 2021 – Clinical Discipline; salaried Clinical and Adjunct Track dossiers (Assistant Professor to Associate Professor; Associate Professor to Professor)
Monday, August 23, 2021 – Academic RT and Academic CT Track dossiers (Assistant Professor to Associate Professor with tenure; Associate Professor on a Q contract to Associate Professor with tenure)
Monday, August 30, 2021 – Research Track dossiers; Academic RT and Academic CT Track dossiers (Associate Professor to Professor)
Monday, March 14, 2022 – non-salaried Clinical and Adjunct Track dossiers
- Members of other medical schools in Illinois holding a position of assistant professor or higher will be eligible only for the title of Lecturer at UIC.
- At the assistant professor level, determination of faculty track will be made by the department head.
- For new appointments at advanced rank, a track-appropriate dossier must be submitted to the College for review and approval by the College promotions committee. This review should take place within the first year of appointment.
- Expedited reviews – On rare occasion, an abbreviated set of documents may be permitted for cases of lateral-move appointments where the proposed rank and tenure status are equivalent to those held at the previous institution. In such instances, a written request from the department head justifying the need for an expedited review along with the candidate’s CV must be submitted to the COM Office of Faculty Affairs for review and approval prior to development of the dossier. Not all requests will be granted.
- Prior BOT approval – Please note that all appointments to the tenure system (tenure-track assistant professors, probationary “Q” appointments, and tenured faculty) must have prior approval by the Board of Trustees before a faculty member may start his or her appointment. Departments should work with COM Human Resources and Faculty Affairs to develop the necessary paperwork well in advance of the proposed faculty start date. If the appointment begins before appropriate approvals are in place, a “visiting” modifier will be required.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Faculty Affairs.