Faculty Appointment, Promotion & Tenure Information
College of Medicine P&T Updates Heading link
- Summary of P&T Guideline Modifications for AY23-24
- COM Criteria and Guidelines for Appointment and Promotion of Faculty
- COM faculty tracks overview
- COM promotion and tenure annual timeline
- Departmental Norms (last updated Fall 2023)
Note: For the 2023-24 cycle, faculty in the Teaching track who are seeking promotion should use the Clinical Discipline dossier.
2023-24 Submission Deadlines Heading link
- Friday, June 2, 2023 – Departments must notify the COM Office of Faculty Affairs of anticipated AY23-24 promotion cases in their units – Anticipated Promotions form
- Wednesday, August 2, 2023 – non-tenure Clinical Discipline Track, Teaching Track, and salaried Clinical/Adjunct Track dossiers (Assistant Professor to Associate Professor; Associate Professor to Professor)
- Wednesday, August 23, 2023 – tenure system RT and CT Track dossiers (Assistant Professor to Associate Professor with tenure; Associate Professor on a Q contract to Associate Professor with tenure)
- Wednesday, August 30, 2023 – non-tenure Research Track dossiers (Assistant Professor to Associate Professor; Associate Professor to Professor); tenure system RT and CT Track dossiers (Associate Professor to Professor)
- Wednesday, March 13, 2024 – non-salaried Clinical and Adjunct Track dossiers
Information from New Faculty Orientation sessions (useful for all faculty) Heading link
Appointment & promotion in the:
New Appointments Heading link
- At the assistant professor level, determination of faculty track will be made by the department head.
- For new appointments at advanced rank, a New Appointment dossier must be submitted for review and approval by the College promotions committee. This review should take place within the first year of appointment.
- Members of other medical schools in Illinois holding a position of assistant professor or higher will be eligible only for the title of Lecturer at UIC.
- Expedited reviews – On rare occasion, an abbreviated set of documents may be permitted for cases of lateral-move appointments where the proposed rank and tenure status are equivalent to those held at the previous institution. A written request from the department head justifying the need for an expedited review along with the candidate’s CV must be submitted to COM Faculty Affairs for review and approval prior to development of the dossier. Not all requests will be granted.
- Prior BOT approval – Please note that all appointments to the tenure system (tenure-track assistant professors, “Q” appointments, and tenured faculty) must have prior approval by the Board of Trustees before a faculty member may start their appointment. Departments should work with COM Human Resources and Faculty Affairs to develop the necessary paperwork well in advance of the proposed faculty start date. If the appointment begins before appropriate approvals are in place, a “visiting” modifier will be required.